10.31.2005

Dead Disco (re/discoveries)

Fun new wave in the vein of the Pretenders and Blondie, plus the singer's hot and involved with Broken Social Scene:

Speaking of BSS, holy crap their new album (on the left) and their classic "You Forgot It In People" are really fucking good. The live show was great, too. As my friend Rebecca said, "do they really need ten people on stage at once?" Yes, yes, they do, or else they wouldn't be who they are.


I used to be really into minimalist electronic music, and I guess I still am, but I don't actually buy it much anymore. This one kinda fell into my lap just last night. It's the Dielectric Minimalist All-Stars. Basically, the artists were given samples from Die Elektrischen, and then they manipulated and returned them to him. Die Elektrischen happens to be the founder of dielectric records out of San Francisco. The artists he's been involved with range from black metal to barely audible blips and boops, but it's all interesting and the packaging is amazing.


Other than those albums, I've been freaking out over some other older things like Gong, The Wipers, Husker Du, Morrissey, the Shout Out Louds, and Os Mutantes.

Coming soon when I find myself with some extra time (rare yet again this week), I'm going to post some long overdue concert reviews.

(Oh, and go see NTX+Electric on Saturday, November 5th at the Painted Lady, cuz I can't. One of my favorite local bands, Tentacle Lizardo is playing that night and also on Wednesday, November 2nd at the same place.)

plug in, turn on, tune in

No comments: