5.04.2005

We Are All On Drugs

Weezer is a band that means a lot to a lot of people. Obviously, for some of us music is very important. Songs and sounds touch us in a way that we can't experience anywhere else. Weezer is one of those bands with a lot of songs that touch us for personal reasons.

So, the blue album was pure, perfect pop. Slightly edgy, yet vague lyrics. It sold millions and millions of copies. Its probably still selling millions of copies. Then came Pinkerton. Total bomb when it first came out. They said it was too personal, the music was too raw. That wasn't what the kids wanted. They wanted more of that perfect surf pop. Too fucking bad! The record was totally raw and personal, and was probably one of the biggest influences on poppy punk emo type stuff. Pinkerton was the Donnie Darko of records - it sold for shit when it came out, but sold huge in the years afterward. After that, Weezer went into seclusion for a couple of years. Rivers became a severe recluse, Matt Sharp started up the Rentals along with Petra Haden from that Dog. and the rest of the guys just kind of hung out and waited. Then, the big comeback, the green album. Self-titled just like the blue album. Much like the blue album, the green album was full of shimmery pop with vaguely emotional lyrics. It couldn't touch Pinkerton, and with the blue album already existing, there was no need for the green album. Its good, I'll give them that, but we didn't need another one. We needed more Pinkerton, more honest emotion and huge drums and under-produced guitars and dirty bass. In response, they put out Maladroit almost a year later. I think it was meant to be a foil to the green album, because in contrast Maladroit is like Weezer's metal album. They rock the fuck out on some tracks. But, it still ain't no Pinkerton.

At this point, I think most Weezer fans are ready to accept that the band will never go back to the raw sound of the second album, their triumph and peak. That being said, this latest album "Make Believe" isn't too bad. Not bad at all. Unlike the green and blue albums, it isn't over-produced perfect pop. The metal from Maladroit is missing. Production values are good, but not too glossy. Lyrics are a little half-assed at times, but I can forgive them that. I think I'm ready to really give them a chance again, knowing they'll never match Pinkerton. Here's the song by song breakadown.

  1. Beverly Hills: First single. A lot of people think this sounds like Cake, and I guess I can see why, but I don't agree. I like it, its something a little different for them.
  2. Perfect Situation: This one reminds me of a song off the green album, but I can't remember which one. Its just the intro that does that for me, but maybe its Rivers' guitar tone is just the same.
  3. This Is Such a Pity: At first I was referring to this as their 'Spandau Ballet' song. Not quite right, its just that it sounds like a random one-hit wonder '80s pop band with the keyboards and the rhythm. Maybe its more like Flock of Seagulls, I don't know. Odd, but they somehow pull it off. Doubters need not worry, I don't think this is a trend, its the only song like it on the album.
  4. Hold Me: A ballad that covers no new ground. Kind of disappointing, but what can you do? They're gettin' old.
  5. Peace: Not bad, but again, really just more retread filler.
  6. We Are All On Drugs: I don't know if this is a reaction or what. I've heard rumors that Rivers is a huge cokehead, and maybe this is his fuck you. Or maybe its a comment on the music scene these days, I don't know. Its hard to tell, but I'm sure this is meant as sarcasm in some way. This is a standout, like track 3, except without the keyboards and bad haircuts.
  7. Damage In Your Heart: Another good one. Kind of slower. I guess most of these songs are nothing groundbreaking and they do rip off some of the band's older ideas, but I guess if it works, why fuck with it? Good chorus.
  8. Pardon Me: This one definitely stands out. Mid-tempo, this one brings the album together a bit as far as solidifying the groove established in "Beverly Hills" (no, that doesn't mean the whole album sounds like Cake). Great chorus in this one, too. I could listen to this over and over again, and that's what makes a Weezer song worthwhile.
  9. My Best Friend: There's no doubt in my mind that this track reminds me of Sloan. Not only in the track title, but also in the big grandiose guitars. Fuckin' hell, that chorus is good when it's loud and you're driving fast, though!
  10. Other Way: Another mid-tempo track. This one is hooky, too. Good harmonies and handclaps. You can't go wrong with handclaps.
  11. Freak Me Out: Good ballad, something a little different. Simple, not too much going on, I like it.
  12. Haunt You Everyday: This one seems personal. In fact, this, and "Freak Me Out" both sound like Rivers' songs. Just like "Butterfly" on Pinkerton was so obviously written only by Rivers.

Over all, tracks two, four, and five are spotty at best. Too much recycling going on with those. That's not bad, the album is 75% good and interesting and hooky. Check it out for yourself when they play the State Theater in Detroit tomorrow night.


stop looking at me!

No comments: