5.04.2005

High Hopes

Last night, I saw "Amityville Horror." I've never seen the original, I've never read the book, but I've been getting a little into horror films lately, so I thought hey why not? First off, I can tell that I would like the book if I were to read it. There were some interesting things in the plot that were never fully developed. It could've been much more cerebral if they had gone further with these little things. Obviously, that's not what you want with a horror film, unless you're making the Blair Witch Project and you're trying to do something different. No one was trying to do anything groundbreaking with this one. There were lots of jump-cuts, vague fuzzy distorted voices in the background, shadows where there shouldn't be any people...typical tricks. The why and the how as to the house possessing the man of the house was never explored, and I think that could've pulled me in more. I guess the point was just to make a flashy horror flick that would make your girl grab you out of fear. Even that didn't happen, so maybe they didn't succeed. I've seen better, and I think now I want to see the original, and maybe read the book. By the way, I'm getting a little sick of this trend with pale, big-eyed, creepy little undead girls in horror films lately. Its getting old real quick.


stop looking at me!

No comments: