6.01.2004

Beeps and Boops

The Movement Festival is definitely something I have no room to talk about. I was only there for maybe an hour on Monday and it blew. I know, a lot of you out there hate electronic music anyway, but I do like it, so bite me. It's not the band I hate, it's their fans. We walked around a bit, and I didn't see anyone performing whom I particularly wanted to see. Unfortunately, I was a hungover mess from Friday night (see below), so I didn't get to catch my friend Greg at noon on Saturday (it takes an awful lot to get me going by noon on a Saturday on a holiday weekend, lemme tell ya), so I didn't get to see that. I also missed the Translocation show at Submerge, but I've seen some of the work elsewhere, and I have to say, I wish I hadn't missed it. I think the festival itself just wasn't as big as I've seen it in the past. It's been maybe two years since I've gone, but it just seemed...lame. I know, all of you out there who hate this stuff are thinking, "well, yeah, of course it was lame, it's techno!" Whatever, the festival itself isn't even about the music anymore, it's about all the people who come out for it. Even that facet was boring on Monday. There were people there, but it wasn't so crowded that you couldn't move (like it's been in the past). It seemed like there were less stages, too. I also noticed that less local labels were represented by vendor booths. In fact, the whole thing felt like a circus, complete with idiots wearing Dr. Seuss hats and suckin' on pacifiers. They even had those little trailers with all the lights that sell funnel cakes and elephant ears! It's Detrot's amazing techno circus! Come one, come all, give us your money, suckers! By the way, I spelled Detroit incorrectly on purpose because that's the way it was spelled on the marquee at Hart Plaza. And ya know what, it was noticed on Friday (I know because I saw it on Detroit Luv), yet it still wasn't fixed through the entire event. Nice. They didn't even have a complete schedule available until days before the event, and if you wanted to buy a program complete with a schedule, it cost $5. Totally ridiculous. I think next year, I'm just going to avoid this thing altogether.

my glowsticks aren't glowing anymore

No comments: