6.01.2004

Grand Theft Autumn

Also this weekend, Braid played at St. Andrew's on Sunday evening. Okay, it was more like Sunday afternoon, doors were at 4:30pm. Got there just in time to miss the opening bands, because we weren't going to sit on the floor in front of the stage and cry with all the emo kids. Andy and I both really wanted to see this show, even though all we have are their two compilations of singles. They were probably halfway into their set before I heard a song I knew, but it was still all good nonetheless. People say these guys are an emo band, but I don't know. I heard time signatures that reminded me of early Sonic Youth, and shout-along choruses that sounded as anthemic as Pegboy. Hardly emo. I'm sure there are a million bands out there who try to sound like Braid, and they might sound whiny and annoying, but that's not what I heard on Sunday. Also, I don't know if Andy and I influenced it, but at some point, they asked the crowd what song they should play next. When most bands do that, they have no intention of taking a cue from the kids in the audience, they already know what they're going to play (you can see the setlist if you can get close enough). Both of us wanted to hear "Roses in the Car," and they actually played it. Couldn't see the setlist, don't know if they planned on playing it, but we were happy.

Clark Kent is Superman

No comments: