6.01.2004

Fulfilling the Prophecy

As previously promised, the rock 'n' roll show this past Friday was truly rockin'. Would I ever lie to you? I admit, I didn't see all of the bands, and I took the road less taken earlier in the evening, so I wasn't right as rain for most of the night. This just means that I went on a brief detour before the show, and said detour involved a very large double shot of ridiculously overpriced bourbon, as well as another double shot that was Dewar's, and people wearing suits and ties and a piano bar. I, however, was not wearing a suit or a tie, and in fact enjoyed being at this upscale restaurant without looking upscale. It's fun, you all should try it sometime. It's called The Whitney, and it's located on Woodward at Canfield in Detroit. The bar upstairs has no dress code, and it's fun freakin' out the bourgeoisie once in awhile. Anyway, back to the show. I did manage to catch The Sights, The Hentchmen, and a too-short duet between Eugene Strobel and Marty (the musician who was being benefitted by the show). Unfortunately, I didn't catch their whole set, but I think they only played a handful of songs, and they were all covers. What I did hear was the last song, and I think it was a Simon and Garfunkel cover. It's good to see that just because you're used to seeing these people rock out, they actually can play softly and sing well and play in a different context than normal. The Hentchmen put on a stand-up show as always. I didn't hear many of the 'hits', but hey, what can ya do? Any time the Sights play, they're almost always my favorite band in the lineup, and Friday night was no exception. They opened with their cover of gospel singer Mahalia Jackson's "Every Day I Live the Life I Sing About in My Song," and closed with Ray Charles' "Sticks and Stones." Both songs seem to have become a regular part of their setlist. It also sounds like they've been re-working some of their older stuff. Those songs sounded good, too. Impressive, in fact. Some of 'em sounded like totally new and different songs. Also good to see is their original drummer Mike Trombley back in the fold. I don't know the particulars of why they've been through more drummers than Spinal Tap (they've all been good), but it is good to see Mike back up there.

I've been abused...right from the start

No comments: