12.13.2005

Thankfully It's Grindcore (re/discovery)

I think it may have been via MTV's 120 Minutes where I discovered Britpop. There were the 'easy' bands like The Smiths and New Order and all that, but that's not quite what I'm talking about. The bands I'm thinking of are the ones that came about in my generation. That would mean Pulp, Suede (aka London Suede), Radiohead, Manic Street Preachers, Placebo, The Verve, et al.

I've spouted my praises over most of those bands several times in the past on this site. I'd give links, but you can search for yourself, it's easy and I'm lazy.

Today I woke up and I wanted to hear Suede. No, I needed to hear Suede. I needed the trash.

Most of those Britpop bands that got big when I was in high school have a '60s or '70s pre-cursor. Mostly because those bands are all more or less glam with a punk edge. No, I don't mean like Rancid, I mean like the New York Dolls.

I like to think of the two bands Pulp and Suede as being related even though they really aren't. They're very similar in their styles and sounds. Of course, the glam is there, it's practically all there is. I just realized that I keep referring to both bands in the present tense. Both are no more. Dead, done, down for the count. Anyhoo, I view Pulp as being like later David Bowie or maybe even like mid-period Roxy Music. Very smooth and suave with a lot of style. Suede are more like early Bowie like if he made an entire career out of the gritty Ziggy Stardust sound. Cross that with the soulful glam of T Rex.

Maybe, maybe it’s the clothes we wear,
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair,
Maybe it’s our kookiness,
Or maybe, maybe it’s our nowhere towns,
Our nothing places and our cellophane sounds,
Maybe it’s our looseness,
But we’e trash, you and me,
We’re the litter on the breeze,
We’re the lovers on the streets,
Just trash, me and you,
It’s in everything we do,
It’s in everything we do...
Maybe, maybe it’s the things we say,
The words we’ve heard and the music we play,
Maybe it’s our cheapness,
Or maybe, maybe it’s the times we’ve had,
The lazy days and the crazes and the fads,
Maybe it’s our sweetness,
But we’re trash, you and me,
We’re the litter on the breeze,
We’re the lovers on the street,
Just trash, me and you,
It’s in everything we do,
It’s in everything we do...

click for Suede's official web site


plug in, turn on, tune in

No comments: