3.30.2005

Forgotten

Update on the post below:

I still haven't heard anything from the purveyors of the site that uses my site's name in their URL. A friend pointed out to me that their domain name is ".blogpot.com", not "rocknrollscientist.blogspot.com" so they probably scan through all the Blogspot sites and add those onto their blogpot domain. It's annoying nonetheless.

I want to add something else. I am not specifically Christian, and I have issues with many of the world's organized religions. But, I do have respect for some. I've come across too many zealots who don't care what I think or what I have to say, they only want to push their dogma and ideals on me. That's where they lose my respect. This past Sunday, I went to a mass at St. Leo's Catholic church in Detroit, MI. Normally, that would be the last place you would find me. But, this was a memorial mass for a close friend. I knew that he respected the church's bishop, but I didn't know why. The mass itself was nice, if a bit long, but everyone was so nice. No one was pushy about their beliefs, they were just genuine. I respect that immensely.

The next day, I went online to research the bishop because I was curious why Tim respected him so much. Bishop Tom Gumbleton was first ordained as a priest in 1956 when he was only 26. He was only 38 when he was ordained as a bishop in the archdiocese of Detroit. If you go to the AOD's site and check out the other Detroit bishops, their biographies are somewhat boring. But then go to Gumbleton's bio. The charity work and education just goes on and on and on. The man's a machine! Just this month he was in Ireland to show solidarity with five peace protesters who were on trial for allegedly damaging a U.S. war plane at a protest at Shannon Air Force Base three years ago. That protest was against the U.S. using an Irish base for their planes going to Iraq. Also, he turns 75 this year. To hear him speak at mass, you would never know he was that old. The Catholic Church requires that bishops and priests retire when they turn 75, but Gumbleton has no intention of doing that. He is definitely a priest who I can respect. That is rare.


stop looking at me!

No comments: