7.26.2004

...when you start drowning in an open tab, and your judgement's on the brink

Argh.  Can anyone out there say malaise, boys and girls?  This is what I'm feeling.  Since 9:30pm last night (Sunday), I have only had three cigarettes.  This....is because I have quit smoking.  I've been a smoker ever since that one day in 1993, when I was out with my friend Ray, and I actually said, "hey, let's go to 7-11 and get some cigarettes, I wanna try that."  Seriously.  I actually said that.   So, I got a pack of Pall Malls, because that's what I remember my dad smoking, and I liked the smell of the smoke when I was little.  Of course, I gagged and coughed the first time I lit up.  I think it wasn't until about ten cigarettes, and about a week later before the first time that I actually inhaled properly.  Cigarette buzz....ahhhhhh.  I haven't had that feeling in a real long time.  This is so hard.  I've said "I'm quitting" a million times, only to wake up the next morning, drive straight to the gas station and buy a pack.  Or, I've been in the car and just got so sick of it, that I tossed a pack out the window.  That's been happening ever since the first week, up until just last month.  Yet, here I sit smoke free right now, so that's good.  I suppose it doesn't help that I've had some things going on in my life lately that would normally make me want to smoke: nerves, stress, anxiety, hating work, anxiety...but I guess all that's just part of quitting right?  Whatever.  I want to try to stop taking years off my life, I want my sense of smell, I want to taste food for real.  There's so much food I've never tasted without being a smoker.  I think I might have a perpetual sinus infection, too, this might help stop that.  A friend who quit just last week told me that she felt like she just came out of a twelve-year fog by quitting...she's been walking around her house smelling everything, because she's never really known how things smelled until now.  I want that.  That, and I'm sure socially, some things could change, too.  Women who don't smoke seem to not want to date men who do. 

 


No comments: