7.29.2004

This Here's Marrrlboro Country

As I said earlier this week, I quit smoking on Monday. As of right now, I'm just short of 68 hours smoke-free. For me, this is a serious, serious achievement. I never wanted it bad enough before, or I would be doing it for someone else, then they started smoking again, and I said fuck it, or I just didn't feel like I really wanted to quit. I'll be honest, it really is like a fog has been lifted. I don't mean to get all hokey on you, but really, this is weird. Obviously, I can smell better...I don't think my nose has been this clear in a very, very long time. I haven't noticed it yet, but apparently my sense of taste will improve (or return, at least), and my clothes will stop smelling like smoke. My car won't smell like smoke, my mustache will not smell like smoke (when I have one). Here's a new reality discovered after quitting, and this comes from a friend who just quit last week. She said she feels like a fog has been lifted, and she explained that a little more last night. Now it makes complete sense, and she's absolutely right. If you're a smoker, I know you've done this, in fact, I'm positive. Smoking can be used to avoid a situation. Most of the time, the situation is conflict, confrontation, or intimacy. Wow, do I ever know the reality of all three. So what do you do when you no longer have cigarettes to help you run away? Confront. At least, that's what I'll do, and I'm thinking I'm going to be a lot happier because of it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many smokes did you have this weekend? No really, how many......

Jeffery said...

Suck it!