4.27.2004

Reinventing Axl Rose

...is the name of the first album from Against Me!, who played at Alvin's in Detroit tonight. I have no idea what it means, but the song of the same name has to do with the excitement and privilege of playing live shows without worrying about merchandise and making money and just doing it purely for the excitement and joy that comes from playing good music for kids who appreciate it. That's sure as hell what went on tonight. Four guys from Gainesville, Florida. Who else is from there? Hot Water Music. Do they sound similar? Yes. In a way. Against Me!'s sound is anthemic, somewhat folky at times, quite political, and the vocals are often throaty much like HWM. However, HWM has moved on and evolved and their sound is still engaging, but not quite what it used to be. Against Me! is overtly political (leaning towards the liberal left or anarchist side of things) and the kids effing love it. I love it. Fists raised, hoarse throat, shouted choruses, it's all there. The excitement and thrill of singing along is there. I walked into that show, and felt like an old man. I'm 28. The average age there was probably 21, so yes, I felt old. It was a little uncomfortable at first, but then I found a few people I knew, and everything worked out. This begs the question, Jeff, what were you doing at a show with a bunch of kids? The band members are all my age or a little bit older, so I'm where they're at. I understand. The last time I encountered them, they were bowling after playing a show at the Majestic Theater with Anti-Flag. They were the nicest guys. One of 'em kept bugging me all night to play songs for him, and another told me to let him know if the first one got out of line. They were like some sort of weird little family, watchin' out for each other. In the end, they tipped me $20 for playing songs for them while they were bowling. I didn't even want to accept it, because they were so nice the whole time. I guess that's what a lot of older punks don't like about "emo" bands: they're too nice. Whatever. These guys are the real deal, plain and simple. Oh, the sound? Imagine a young, American Pogues with no native Irish instruments, just guitars, bass, and drums. Emphatic, anthemic, and political.

Pints of Guinness make you strong

No comments: