3.12.2004

You're the one for me, punk rock girl!

I'm 28 years old. When I was 12, in 1988, I had a lot of things going on musically. In fact, that was all I had going on. My friends were really just a bunch of guys who beat up on me 'in fun'. I didn't care about school, or girls, didn't really care about anything except music. We had cable, and I would watch MTV incessantly, hoping to glimpse something more outside of the small town I was living in. I would always watch MTV 120 Minutes late on Sunday nights. This is where I first heard the Dead Milkmen. I barely knew who the Dead Kennedys were, and here was a band making fun of their name. But I loved it. It was the video for "Punk Rock Girl." I had a paper route back then, and made hardly any money doing it, but I spent all of that money on cassette tapes. As soon as I had some money saved, I went to the mall and bought the Dead Milkmen album "Beezlebubba." I knew that some people didn't consider them to be a credible punk band, but that's nonsense. By the time I wore out that tape, I had a CD player, so I went and bought it on CD. I listened to it at least once a week for a few years. The rest of their albums never did much for me, I just loved "Beezlebubba." Over time, I kinda forgot about them. I would pull it out once in awhile, but then it would quickly get replaced in the rotation, because let's face it, I've got a multiple-personality disorder when it comes to music. I never really thought about what happened to them. Until yesterday. I was reading Fark, like I do almost every day to see what's going on in the world besides war and strife, and I saw the article. Dave Blood, the Dead Milkmen's bass player killed himself sometime Tuesday night. I felt sad. Mostly because I had forgotten about the band. The music that I listened to from the beginning, up until maybe the age of 20 seriously affected my life in many ways, and I feel like these bands are my friends, whether they know it or not. So, yesterday, I went and found some interviews with Dave. He was one seriously intelligent man. Beyond the joking attitude of the Milkmen, he was very educated. In one of the interviews, he was talking about Saddam Hussein and our government, and he just cut right through the bullshit. He understood. Apparently, his mother died in January of this year, and he hadn't been handling it very well. It's easy to say that suicide is a coward's way out, but I think for some people, if they feel it's their only option, who are we to say what's right or wrong? Reading all of the articles and interviews with him, I could tell that he was an individual who 'thought too much'. When we say people are crazy or insane, it's because we don't understand them, but they understand everything, perhaps too much. It seems that Dave Blood saw it all, and didn't like it. You will be missed, sir.

when my friend and i were done we went to rest upon the sun cause life takes from us the things we love and it robs us of the special ones and it puts them high where we can't climb and we only miss them all the time and we sing: life is shit, life is shit the world is shit, the world is shit this is life as i know it this is life as i know it this is life as i know it this is life as i know it this is life as i know it

No comments: