3.27.2004

This is the end, my only friend, the end

In our alienated and isolated society, there are streets we drive on everyday without really knowing where they go. Is there a busy avenue you drive everyday, but have no idea where it begins or ends? In Detroit, there are several main streets. I know that Michigan Avenue starts downtown, and ends in Chicago. I'll save that roadtrip for another day. Gratiot Ave starts downtown, and ends in Marysville, MI, about 50 miles north of Detroit and less than a mile from the house where I grew up. But, what about Woodward? Woodward Avenue was the first paved highway in America. Detroit's east and west sides are divided by this street. All Detroiters know that Woodward originates at Jefferson Ave in downtown Detroit, but where does it go? Today, my friend Naheed and I set out on a quest to find out. When going north on Woodward (from my house), you first pass through Highland Park, then Detroit again, then Ferndale, then Royal Oak, then Birmingham, then Bloomfield Hills, then Pontiac. At some point in Pontiac, we saw a sign that told us we were on the business loop of highway 24. We stayed on it and didn't stray. We followed all signs to stay on Woodward. Somewhere out past Pontiac, I saw a coney island called "Bloomfield Coney Island." I asked Naheed, are we still in Pontiac? Where are we? She wasn't sure. So, we keep driving, and the road starts getting kinda hilly. Suddenly, I see a sign for Hickory Lake road, then I see Long Lake Rd. I said, "that's weird, we crossed those streets earlier." Then I saw the entrance for Cranbrook. We had already been there! Somewhere in Pontiac, Woodward loops around, and takes you south again. Apparently. I'm not really sure. All I know is, all of a sudden, we were back in Bloomfield Hills, then Birmingham, and we were going south. We were hoping for something revelatory. We were hoping that Woodward would take us somewhere we hadn't gone before. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Pontiac sucks

No comments: