2.11.2004

We Don't Talk About Love, We Only Want to Get Drunk*

As I type this, a million men around the country are freaking out. Yes, folks, we're three days away from Valentine's Day, aka Singles Awareness Day. Who needs a drink? Christmas is different, but Valentine's Day is a holiday you do not fuck around with if you are in a relationship. Luckily, I'm not, so instead, I'll be following the mantra up there in the headline above: I'll be at the bar. I will be working, and on Saturdays, I work at a bar, so I can't get away from that, but I can guarantee you that I will in fact be drunk by 2am. I'm in my late twenties, and I suppose for some generations, that means I should be married with kids already. My mom was my age when I was in first grade. That messes me up. While I am a bit upset about not being in a relationship, I do not feel that I need to be like her at this age. She has known nothing of Valentine's Day in 25 years. I'm already at 28 years of it meaning nothing. So, here in 2004, I will officially dub February 14th "Singles Awareness Day." Enjoy!

*(the headline comes from the song "A Design For Life" from the album "Everything Must Go" by the Manic Street Preachers. This is the album mentioned in an earlier post that was released after the guitarist/lyricist killed himself)

"Everyone I have ever loved, I will love till I die."

No comments: