2.27.2004

Lollipops

I have to admit, I've been a hardcore regular at the Majestic in Detroit for a little over six years now. I started working there in the Fall of '97, and I haven't stopped. I did it all, bartending, barbacking, working the bowling alley, DJing, I was a line cook for a while, I even worked on the automatic pinsetting machines. When you work at a popular bar, you don't always like to hang out there, you like to get out once in awhile and see the competition, or at least see something different. I've seen a lot, hole-in-the-wall bars, old man bars (lots, and lots of those), cop bars, blues bars, gay bars, ghetto trannie bars, martini bars, you name it. I tend to avoid the meat markets, though, because, really, what's the point? So, in my time, I've seen the Majestic change over the years. Every year, millions of kids decide that they want to start going to a club, they want to be seen, they want to be trendy and hip or whatever, maybe even get laid. So, that brings us to the current state of affairs. Thursday nights at the Magic Stick. What the fuck is this? I walk in, and I feel like I'm at the Windsor Music Cafe, or Campbell Street Station (in Sarnia). Total meat market, booty music, hipster kids, high heels, fuck-me boots, and mini-skirts. There are always lots of fights, too. Honestly, I find the whole scene really strange. It's a bunch of punk rock kids who were all emo last year, and now they go and hang out and dance to Britney Spears while making sure the 00-gauge plugs don't fall out of their ears while they're dancing in just that right way to make sure all the 19-year old guys can see the Celtic/tribal tattoo they have in the small of their backs. It's fucking creepy, I mean really, what is going on? I remember back when I was 21, and I had to go back to my old high school to get a copy of my transcript for something for college, and all the kids had their hair dyed different colors, and they were wearing Doc Martins, and I was so freaked out by it. When I was in high school, I was made fun of for being like that. Now, it's mainstream, it's just trendy fashion. If Nirvana never would've happened, these same girls would be going to the Post and hitting on date-rapists. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too old for this shit, maybe I should just stay away from club nights. I guess that's obvious, but it just happens, it becomes voyeuristic.

electric youth

No comments: