7.09.2006

It's Bigger Than...

...hip HOP, hip HOP. DPs got that crazy shit, we keep it crunk up, john blazin' shit!

Last Sunday night, I was watching Entourage, and during the end credits, they were playing the track "Hip Hop" from Dead Prez. The album it's from, "Let's Get Free" came out years ago. The band has never been very mainstream. So it was cool to hear it in a place where millions of people have a chance to hear it.

A lot of hip hop is very similar as far as the percussion and bass sounds, as well as the use of samples. But this DP track is more electro sounding, more like an underground sound.

The song has been following me. I heard it last Sunday night on TV, then I was eating dinner somewhere with friends on Friday night, I was singing it, and then Gina pulled out her iPod so we could listen to it in the car. Then I DJed both Friday and Saturday nights, and of course, something made me want to hear it. Tonight, I was watching the new 'Lost Episodes' of Chapelle's Show, and what was playing over the opening shot of Charlie Murphy and that other guy onstage? Fucking "Hip Hop," that's what.

Normally I wouldn't think this is weird, but the album came out in the year 2000! It wasn't a big mainstream record, it had hardly any radio airply. Why am I being followed by a song?


plug in, turn on, tune in

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the main reason it never made the mainstream is because the lyrics are about armed revolution for the most part. People would freak if they knew what the lyrics were saying:

"One thing bout music when its real they get scared
Got us slavin for the welfare
Aint no food, clothes, or healthcare
I'm down for guerilla warfare
All my niggas put your guns in the air if you really dont care
Skunk in the air, make a nigga wanna buck in the air
For my brother locked up in the jump for a year"

"Punk pig wit a badge wanna handcuff me cuz my pants thats tend to sag
Hip hop means throw up your rag, soldier flag
Whether ridin on the bus or you stole a jag
M-1 mean freedom, burn the cash
Revolutionary love til the day we pass
Will they play it on the radio
Maybe not, maybe so we gon keep it pumpin though
Everybody know we headed for the whoa, fo sho"

Heh heh.

Dr Cherry (hamtramckstar.com)