6.30.2006

Is it a grain, or pasta?

Have you ever really thought about orzo? You know, that stuff that looks like gigantor rice. It's about five times the size of typical rice, comes in multiple colors, and has the consistency of pasta. Here, take a look at some raw orzo in this pic:

Last weekend I had a conversation with a chef from Union Street, a hip restaurant in Midtown Detroit. The place has been there forever, there's no theme or a certain cuisine, no fusion, and you can't get hummous. The gimmick is good food and big portions. So I was talking to this chef and complaining about how the specials never seem to change, and how I missed a few things that disappeared from the menu years ago. He couldn't really give an explanation on those things.

However, I was in there last night, and I checked the specials menu hoping to see something I haven't seen on there every week for what seems like forever. I admit it's entirely possible that I've never noticed this special before. It was Southwest orzo (meaning multi-colored like in the pic above) with smoked chicken, garlic, red onion, shiitake mushroom, and tri-color peppers in an asiago-chablis creme sauce. Ho-ly crap.

I don't think my conversation had anything to do with it, chances are its an item that's appeared on the specials menu before.

The point is, that was a really good dish. I like Union Street a lot. And I think you should go there for dinner tonight. Ask for a chilled shot of Pama, it's a new pomegranate liqueur. Get a pint of Stella Artois or Woodpecker Pear Cider to go with it.

For almost ten years, the Majestic Cafe felt like the de rigeur place to go for a decent dinner in Midtown Detroit, but I haven't had a good meal there in way too long. Union Street has always been there across the street. I don't know why I didn't go there more often. Now I do.


plug in, turn on, tune in

No comments: