5.05.2006

All Sparks

I meant to review this album weeks ago, and for some reason I'm just now getting around to it. The Editors happen to be one of those bands I was referring to below.

When Interpol's first album came out everyone kept saying "you have to hear it, they sound just like Joy Division!" Being the Joy Division fanatic that I am, this made me not want to hear it. But then their second album came out, and I bought it without even hearing it and of course I love it and went and got the first one too, blah, blah, blah. They play minor chords and the singer sounds like he learned to sing by listening to Ian Curtis. In my mind, the comparisons end there. Curtis idolized David Bowie, and tried to sound like him. In turn, Interpol takes it in the logical direction and try to sound like Curtis. I get it. They do it well, too.

The Editors' first album "The Back Room" came out to a flurry of critical praise and a massive hype machine worthy of Bloc Party. Yes, it is that good. But you know what? The Editors are a British Interpol with different production values. Maybe you can throw a little Kitchens of Distinction in there just to make you feel better. Christ, sitting here listening to the record, I'm realizing that KofD are the real reference here...wow. It's like an epiphany. They're like a darker Kitchens of Distinction.

Recommended if you like the Interpol kinda thing.

Click here to check out some tracks from them. I particularly recommend the first single "Munich," the Stereolab cover "French Disko," and "Fingers In the Factories," but you'll have to get the album to hear that last one.

(Check out this album cover...have you ever seen the video for Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart?" The scene on this cover looks like it could be the same setting as that video...)

click to check out the Editors' site


plug in, turn on, tune in

No comments: