2.14.2006

Rock and Roll Evacuation

I was 'tagged' to do this months ago, but I didn't notice. Just now I was on Technorati looking up who's linked to my blog recently and found that my fellow blogger Alissa tagged me to also fill out this survey as a 'free' post. Check out her blog here.

Here goes:

10 Years Ago: I was 20 years old, living in the Port Huron area still, and going to St. Clair County Community College (SC4). Still living with my mom and sister in Marysville. Still hanging with the punks in Port Huron. I was a communications major in college, working at a small record store (Paradise Records), writing and copy editing the campus paper, DJing at and assistant music directoring the campus radio station, and working briefly at a plastics plant in St. Clair. Actually, I may have been at Applebee's at that point, I'm really not sure. I can't remember, and don't really care to. I spent a lot of time at strip clubs in Canada with my friend Buddy, and a lot of time at regular clubs in Canada with my friends Mike and Lori. Lori and I went to City Club in Detroit pretty often, too. City Club is sort of a goth club, for those who are unaware.

5 Years Ago: I was 25, and had been living in Detroit for three and a half years. College was all done, but I still owed for my last semester, so my graduation date was for 2002, even though I finished in '01. Bastards. At this very point in time five years ago, my grandparents bought me a new car. They bought me a new car because I was working at the Garden Bowl/Majestic and didn't have much income and my previous car had been stolen a month before. I had that 1989 Plymouth Acclaim for maybe three days before I decided it was time for a road trip to Chicago. Janna and I went and visited our friend Marcia who was going to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. That was my first time seeing the galleries there. In the previous year, I had taken a grad-level art history class and then this gallery had about 60% of the work I studied. It was crazy. I didn't expect to ever actually see Brancusi's 'Bird In Space' up close and personal. Same goes for Andy Warhol's metallic paint on black velvet portrait of Joseph Beuys. That was a really good trip. A month later, I started working at AGT Broadcast, where I work now. Same shit, same office, same bosses, except we were bought out and now we're called DG Systems. Plus I'm now an account manager. The pay is still shit.

Yesterday: Didn't sleep at all Sunday night, I was up all night being sick from something I ate. Was still getting sick up until about 10am. Went to work, got bored real quick. Listened to Paul Westerberg's album "Stereo" most of the day. Got a weird craving for Burger King. I haven't eaten there in a year, but I think all of their marketing/advertising from the past year or so is genius. Got a Whopper, remembered why I don't eat there anymore. Got out of work relatively on time, went over to Wes & Rebecca's, then went and picked up Chris, then went to the WAB for half-off food night for dinner. Got the French Dip, it was delicious as always. Then Chris and I met up with Wes at the Magic Stick to see Matt Pond PA. Almost fell asleep, went home after two songs. Went home, tried to go online, couldn't get the wireless router to work for some reason. Too tired to mess with it. Then tried watching a few episodes of Scrubs on DVD. Almost fell asleep halfway through the second episode.

5 Songs I Know All The Words To:

  1. "Blind" - Face to Face
  2. "Dyslexic Heart" - Paul Westerberg
  3. "1963" - New Order
  4. "Bring the Noise" - Public Enemy
  5. "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" - Neutral Milk Hotel

5 Snacks:

  1. Mixed nuts, no peanuts (I have nothing against peanuts, I just don't want them interfering with my enjoyment of pecans, cashews, and almonds.)
  2. Kettle Chips, either 'New York Cheddar and Herb' or 'Beer and Cheddar'
  3. Cheese, in all of it's glory and splendor
  4. dry European salami
  5. Laughing Cow (la vache qui ri!) (I only list this separate because while it is in fact, a cheese product, I don't know how much of it is actually cheese...)

5 Things I'd Do with $100 Million:

  1. Pay off all debt
  2. Take care of family
  3. Invest some in relatively safe short and long term investments
  4. Take a year off, then come back and start my own business pooling the talents of all the creative people I know to create a design collective where everyone gets paid well to do really good and innovative work.
  5. Travel

5 Places I'd Run Away To:

  1. Switzerland/Norway
  2. Northern Michigan
  3. NYC
  4. Montreal
  5. The inner recesses of my soul (oh, wait, I already do that, this is in a future-possible tense, right?)

5 Things I Would Never Wear:

  1. Speedo
  2. bright colors
  3. sandals (they just don't look right on me)
  4. bling (just not me)
  5. white pants

5 Favorite TV Shows:

  1. Arrested Development
  2. Scrubs
  3. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  4. Seinfeld
  5. Mr. Show
  6. Law & Order
  7. Six Feet Under

5 Greatest Joys:

  1. dearhero
  2. music
  3. friends
  4. family
  5. graphic design

5 Favorite Toys:

  1. My iPod
  2. My PowerBook
  3. cellphone
  4. ultra-strong magnets
  5. my digital camera (if it wasn't broken)

5 Favorite Movies:

  1. Lost In Translation
  2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  3. Breakfast At Tiffany's (I don't care what anyone says, I prefer the movie over the book. Truman Capote can suck it. Oh, I guess he would if he were alive...)
  4. High Fidelity
  5. Henry & June
  6. many, many more that won't fit here.

So, aren't you glad I don't normally tell you every little bit of minutiae about my life? Wouldn't that bore the hell outta you?

plug in, turn on, tune in

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely agree. breakfast at tiffany's is one of the few instances where the movie surpasses the book.

j-dub said...

"future-possible tense" : I like that.

Jeffery said...

...but I think that I love the film so much more than the book because I am a hardcore romantic and I've been in too many similar situations. You want them to be together so badly. I can appreciate the book for what it is, but I prefer the film.

Jeffery said...

As for the tense, I originally thought 'future-imperfect', but I'm not sure if that applies here. Future-possible sounded better. Probably doesn't exist, but sounds better.

Anonymous said...

I think "subjunctive" is the word you were looking for ;)

Jeffery said...

Yeah, it could be, but 'future-possible' sounds better to me. You crazy Europeans have so many more tenses than we do here in 'merica. Makes much more sense, but makes it harder to learn the Romance languages.