10.15.2005

Smash It Up When I'm Down

A few years ago, someone who was probably almost ten years younger than me turned me on to the Swedish punk band The Refused. I had heard of them before, and I had read about it, but I never heard the music. And when I did, it was all over. They were like the saviors of hardcore in my eyes. Because they took it further. Their love of jazz and soul and even hip hop was evident without the music coming off as cheesy. Plus they were very educated in leftist politics and knew how to get their point across in a forceful and exciting way. The band's "Shape of Punk to Come" from 1998 was a fucking bomb. It hit so hard in every way, and I still listen to it on a semi-regular basis. It's so tight, and so well-executed that you can't ignore it. Unfortunately, soon after completing that album, the band broke up as they were unable to reconcile their anarchist leanings with a career in music. It's a classic catch-22 that many political bands go through: they don't want to become a part of the machine, but they need to in order to get their music heard. Soon after the Refused disbanded, Epitaph Records in this country re-released "The Shape of Punk to Come," so many kids who heard it didn't even realize it had been out for awhile and that the band was all over and done. But, by re-releasing it here, Epitaph created huge buzz, and this helped out a lot. Denis Lyxzen, the singer of the Refused went on to start The (International) Noise Conspiracy because he was willing to take part in the machine so that he could be heard. Don't get me wrong, he's not some over-zealous politico ranting to the masses. T(I)NC took the power of the Refused and fused it to soul and more rock sounds. The hardcore was gone, but the message remained and became easier to digest.


Starting in 2000, the Noise Conspiracy has reached a wider audience then the Refused ever did. Not everyone can get into hardcore punk, it's just one of those things. The latest and third album, "Armed Love" was originally released late last year in Sweden, but due to label issues, it wasn't released here until a couple weeks ago. Rick Rubin, known for his work with Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, Anthrax, Slayer, as well as reviving Johnny Cash's career and founding Def American, and American Recordings produced this "Armed Love." He gave the band a clean, yet still very soulful and strong sound. I think it may be their strongest album yet.

I saw The (International) Noise Conspiracy open for The Bravery at the Majestic Theater (in Detroit) two weeks ago. I have my opinions about that (The Bravery plays '80s music to kids who were born in the '80s because no one else takes them seriously enough), but I won't digress. Finally getting to see the band was enough for me even if it was too short of a set.

Expecting no less, I was thoroughly impressed with the band live. They came out in matching military-inspired uniforms, which goes along with their occasionally Communist politics. Unlike the opening band People In Planes who had about six people and a crapload of gear onstage and The Bravery, whose lighting rig alone took up half the stage, T(I)NC were simple in terms of their onstage presence.

Their sound was far from simple. High energy and full of soul, just like it should be. Lots of perfectly timed stage moves, and a lot of movement. I hate seeing a band that just stands there, it makes me wonder why I paid to see them in person. Not that I paid to see the show, but that's besides the point.

Of course they went through all the hits that everyone would want to hear like "Smash It Up" and "Capitalism Stole My Virginity," but then they also played a good portion of the new album. I hate when a band tours to support a new album and only plays tracks off said album. That's annoying (RE: Sloan this summer).

Denis obviously has studied his rock and roll quite well. One of the last songs had him standing about ten feet in the air on top of a amp cabinet/head. As the last chorus was ending, he threw the mic up in the air, jumped off the cabinet down to the front of the stage, caught the mic and continued the end of the song. I was impressed. I see way too many singers trying to attempt these Roger Daltrey (The Who) stage moves with the microphone and they all just fuck it up. During a couple songs he jumped down into the crowd and sang to people directly. In a smaller venue, I wouldn't be surprised, but this isn't something you see very often at the Majestic Theater. Denis also has obviously been paying attention to James Brown considering that he did the splits at one point. Then he started strutting around like Mick Jagger. It's all appropriate considering his band's music has the soul of the Stones, the power of James Brown live, and the presence of The Who onstage.

Overall, a great show, the new album "Armed Love" is excellent, and I would highly recommend both.


click for more Armed Love



plug in, turn on, tune in

No comments: