7.05.2005

The Way I Feel Inside

This morning, I woke up, and I slightly freaked out. Not because it was already 8:30, and I had to be at work at 9, and I slept through all alarms. The only thing that did wake me was an early text message (thanks, A, I needed that). No, that is not why I was so uncomfortable.

Like I do every morning, I went to my computer to sit down and check my email before taking a shower. The normal low hum that envelops the room was missing. I forgot. We had a brownout last night. It took my cable modem and my router. I'm hoping it only took the power adapters for both. Its so odd that my computer was fine, my external USB drive was fine, the external sound card was just peachy, and Aaron's Mac was working like normal, too. But, the two things we both need to connect to the internet were fried.

I guess maybe I had hoped that when I went to bed last night, both weren't working because we were still in a brownout. I was hoping that there just wasn't enough power for some things. But the modem and router draw hardly any power. I also hoped that maybe, like some small motors, the power adaptors or power supplies got too hot and shut down and just needed to reset themselves. I hoped. But, when I went into the computer room, I could see that the router still did not have power. I didn't even bother trying to plug in the modem. What's the use?

Considering my current internet usage and how much I rely on it for a few different facets of my everyday life, I am frustrated. I can't go to Google Image Search to find images to make flyers, I can't check late night email, but I'll be okay. Like any other addiction, I can drop it at will, but will always go back because I want to, not because I need to. Plus, if it is just the power adapters then it will be cheap to deal with.

Strange how losing material items doesn't really faze me. After all, it is just stuff. Nothing I can't live without. But losing the items that act as transmitter/receivers (opposite ends of the communication model) for information, something so very intangible is what gets to me.


stop looking at me!

No comments: