7.14.2005

Don't Talk To Me About Simple Things

THE GOOD

  • The Constantines - From Toronto. Saw 'em at the Magic Stick in Detroit on Tuesday night. About a year ago, a friend of mine starting talking them up to me. He couldn't explain their sound, so he brought in one of their CDs when I was DJing. I've been hooked ever since. Their sound is complicated to explain. I read a review recently that referred to their music as being "dub-inflected." I guess I can agree with that, but the inflection is so far removed from the actual sound of dub that its practically irrelevant. So, vocally, I'm quick to compare to Bruce Springsteen, Joe Strummer, and Tom Waits, and more recently Eric Bachmann of Crooked Fingers (and formerly Archers of Loaf). The lyrics are good and stark and spoken with a voice of authority: "all a man build is his vision." The band is a five-piece including drums, bass, keyboard, and two guitarists, one who sings most of the time, and the other on occasion. This formula with the vocal sound and style might bring to mind Hot Water Music, and considering the latter's more recent sound, that isn't too far off from reality. But there is no hint of 'emo' or a 'new punk' sound with these Toronto natives. Its just something different, engaging, and all around good. Its anthemic and endearing and strong all at the same time.
  • American Spirit Cigarettes - Lights or mediums in particular. I know, I know, its sort of a hipster thing to smoke these stupid cancer sticks with the Native American on the front of the box. But you know what? They last longer than a box of Camel Lights, and for a buck fifty more, I'll take it! I can smoke a Camel Light in about three and a half minutes, but it takes at least twice as long if not longer to smoke an American Spirit. It's not that there's more or less tobacco in either one, its just because the AS cigarettes have no chemicals added to make them burn faster so that you'll run out and buy more. So basically, by paying a dollar fifty extra, I get to smoke a cigarette for twice as long. Works for me.
  • Detroityes forums - Normally, I'm not one to get into internet forums, but this one is irresistable. The focus is Detroit, obviously. There are somewhere over a thousand registered users, but its really just the same 200 or so people arguing back and forth every day. Here's a list of some of the most current threads on the site: 'Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread', 'The Algiers Motel Incident', 'Granholm Called Out', 'Broderick Tower Renovation'. As you can see, they discuss politics and local history and development. But then they get bitchy, or flattering, or just plain stupid. There's so much drama, its like watching a soap opera. Oh, you can check it out here.
  • Blogger - Its the application that I'm using right now to compose and publish this blog. Totally free, and easy to use. I love it. After messing around with Dreamweaver and FrontPage, I have to say Blogger saves a whole lot of time. Go here to get your own blog. Millions already have.

THE BAD

  • Grief - I miss Tim.

THE UGLY

  • Text Messaging - As technology grows and evolves, it seems like we find more and more ways to isolate ourselves from the rest of the world. Ultimately, we are completely connected without ever actually connecting. Drunk text messages replace the drunk dial, breakups are done over email, flirting takes place through online communities, and we keep getting further and further away from each other. I hate it, but I'm in deep.
  • Craigs List 'Missing Connection' bulletin boards - This is one of those online communities that allows me to be passive and isolated and to connect without truly connecting. I hate it, but I'm on it every day anyway because I am a romantic idealist.
  • Better Made Curry and Garlic Potato chips - Yes, I'm quite serious. I never would've believed it myself, but I have a bag sitting in my cupboard in the kitchen at home. I cannot tell you where I got them, because then you'd know and there would be less for me. Why are they bad? Because they're like crack, that's why.
  • My Passivity - I really gotta do something about that.

stop looking at me!

1 comment:

mari said...

i think we look at all the same websites. i am such a detroityes and craig's list junkie. they are sososo addictive...