7.18.2005

Derrida's Nightmare

Random bullshit:

  • No, I'm not crazy, and that is not my intent. Being mildly funny comes closer.
  • Yes, sometimes I speak/write/type too properly. The ebonics immersion course I took from 1997 to 2001 is starting to wear off.
  • What I want is NOT always what I need. Its taken me 29 years to figure that out.
    • However, what I want is close to what I need.
  • Small Plates in Detroit makes an excellent goat cheese & roasted red pepper empanada with creme fraiche. I recommend. Possibly the best empanada I've ever had, and I've had many.
  • I like Fountains of Wayne, and if you're gonna ride in my car, you'll have to accept what I choose to listen to while driving.
  • No, I don't want a Vicodin. Really, no.
  • No, I don't know where you can get some coke. Okay, actually, I do, but I ain't tellin'.
  • Yes, I know who Derrida was, but I can't pronounce his name right.
    • I own Writing and Difference, but I doubt that I will ever truly understand the theories of Deconstruction.
  • I hate fish flies, earwigs, and silverfish. Creepy little buggers.
  • Thanks to Dorkwave and Corktown Tavern early on a muggy Sunday morning (real early, like 3am), I now remember why I hate after-hours parties at bars. I didn't know the code, couldn't get a beer, and no one would tell us how. Scenester fucks.
  • Why do I bother going to Taco Bell if they always fuck up my order, don't give me all of my food or take twenty minutes to get it to me?
    • Why do I bother going there when they regularly manage to commit all three of the above crimes at the same time?
  • I fucking hate this paradox of instant communication and isolation that occurs with email and text messaging. I loathe it. I'm surprised Marshal McLuhan didn't write a book predicting my derision forty years ago. Oh, wait, he did.
  • Check out the Oxford English Dictionary online here. Learn something. Go to the word of the day and subscribe, its totally worth it. Then you can drop those 50-cent words once in awhile and people will think you're smart and stuff.
  • Do whatever you have to do to get your hands on the Contantines album "Shine A Light." Trust me. It's sort of Bruce Springsteen's voice meets Joe Strummer's voice with the music of Strummer's Mescaleros but more sparse and not quite so world beat. Okay, not world beat at all, more punk. Throw in a little bit of Hot Water Music-style aggression and you're all set. The music itself is actually very dramatic, too. That doesn't make any sense, but I honestly don't fucking care.
  • A trend was discovered Friday night. It seems that I like redheads in particular, but it's never been a conscious decision, so I think it's just a coincidence.
  • The Outer Limits bar is Hamtramck's version of Detroit's Old Miami. 'Cept weirder, if that's possible. They have a separate building out back. Its a wedding chapel. Seriously.
  • The very thing that brings me together with all of the amazing people I know and love is the same thing that I hate about modern life: cellphones. Is the isolation and imminent fear of human interaction worth the convenience?

stop looking at me!

1 comment:

j-dub said...

the Outer Limits is truly weird. the whole guns-nailed-to-the-celing motif makes me uneasy.