6.17.2005

An Open Letter to Rod Argent, Chris White, Colin Blunstone, Paul Atkinson, and Hugh Grundy (aka The Zombies)

RE: Odessey & Oracle

Dear sirs, first, I would like to thank you. Your 1968 'swansong' Odessey & Oracle is tied for the top spot of best pop record ever (in my mind). The space is shared with The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds. People may talk about the Beatles or the Kinks or maybe even Badfinger, but did any of those acts make a record as flawless as O&O? I don't think so. They wish they could've made an album as cohesive and solid as this. Every song leaves me wanting more, leaves me thinking of special people from my life, and begs to be listened to three or four or sometimes even five times in a row. I suppose I should also thank Fuel 2000 Records for their 2004 reissue with the added tracks. The Big Beat Records 30th Anniversary edition is good...its remastered, and both the mono and stereo versions of the entire album are included, but I don't need that. Who really does? If you're a purist or a completist, then you already have this stuff on vinyl, right? What do you guys think? Mr. White? Does one need both mono and stereo mixes of your beautifully written songs? Mr. Argent, do you believe that the stereo mix would suffice for your innovative arrangements? I think so.

I've read that this album was meant to be your last stand. Maybe a 'fuck you' to a world that wouldn't listen? Have you noticed yet that your sound was a blueprint for bands like The Smiths and New Order with sad lyrics buried in happy music? The songwriters from those bands grew up in England, and would've been just old enough to obsess over hit radio singles when you were still making them. I'm sure that if you were to go find Johnny Marr or Bernard Sumner, they'd say 'thank you', too.

That's all for now, I'm sure we'll be talking again soon enough.

rocknrollscientist
06/17/05, Detroit


stop looking at me!

No comments: