6.29.2005

Oceanic

THE GOOD

  • Isis - I guess this band could be called jazz, in a sense. I find it strangely soothing, even though you could call it metal. I don't know what it is, but I like it. Like Slint's heavy metal cousin. I'm sure someone out there classifies it as 'post-something', like post-metal or post-hardcore.
  • Corporate ass-kissing - no, I'm not the one bendin' over, my company takes out clients on these events like last night where we took out a bunch of 'em to Comerica Park for a Tigers game. Two suites, tons of food, wine, beer, liquor, and it was all on the company dime. I'm lovin' it.
  • A slight sense of job security - I thought I had things to worry about, but now I know that one of our biggest contracts depends on my office staying right here. I have seniority and therefore, security. Dog bless the Big 3, for I am their bitch.
  • The Zombies - at first, when I was young, I was all about the Monkees, Beatles, and Beach Boys. I felt that these bands were benchmarks in a way. They were icons for me because I quickly found that even their outtakes and demos were amazing. Along the way, I've found other bands like this. The Troggs, The Kinks, and Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett era mainly) are like this for me. Now I have found yet another. The Zombies. These guys were so overlooked and underrated. It goes much, much deeper than "The Time of the Season," people.
  • Will Self - modern British author. Lots of words I've never heard of (but now know well), British street thug and drug slang, William Burroughs worship (in Self's early work), Hunter S. Thompson style (in his more recent work), and sharp wit. Good stuff. I'm obsessed.
  • Cephalopod fans - you never know who you'll meet when you're not looking for them.
  • New and unexpected friends - like I just said...

THE BAD

  • Petroleum Hydrocarbon - aka "Blow Off." We us this canned-air stuff in the office to clean computers, keyboards, and tape decks. Smells like, well I don't know what it smells like, but I don't like it, and when I breathe in it, my tongue burns. Nasty. Somewhere, some kid is spraying it into a rag and inhaling and getting realllllly high, but not me, this shit is awful.
  • Smoking - just in the past seven days, I've smoked Kool Milds (because they were free), American Spirit Lights, Camel Lights, American Spirit Mediums, Basic Menthol Lights, and American Spirit Organic (because they were given to me by accident). I hate that I smoke, yet I have no real interest in quitting. I like to smoke.
  • Fucking Post It notes - A meme that needs to die a horrible painful death.

THE UGLY

  • Kwame Kilpatrick - Its painful to admit that you really don't know what you're doing, isn't it?

stop looking at me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay to all the stuff in the "Good" column :) haha i am jealous about your tigers game perks!!