6.16.2005

A Kid Without Claws

My head still pounds with allergens or mucus or something, shit... I don't know anymore. Last night, for the first time ever in my life, I walked into a drug store with the intent of purchasing an allergy medication. I grew up allergy-free. My sister has been allergic to almost everything (it seems) for as long as I can remember, but I always had it easy. Now, I just don't now what to do. The symptoms rule out sinus infection, and my nose isn't running anywhere, so I assume its allergies. It is the right time of the year, I've been told.

So, I'm standing in this aisle of the drug store, bathed in fluorescence. The brightly colored boxes are yelling at me with all their different applications. Different methods of consumption (assumption?), different doses, different prices, name-brands, Rite Aid brands, what the fuck? They all have the same shit: Loratadine, which is an antihistamine. Some also have acetaminophen, but I just want decongestion. That's all. Very few of the boxes tell me that they will take care of my swollen throat and congested head. Some do, but those involve large pills that must be swallowed, and in my case will get caught up right before heading south. In the end, I remembered what a friend recommended: Alavert. Extra bonus, this one comes in tablets that dissolve in your mouth and taste minty-fresh. Side note: Tylenol has a sinus medication that features a 'mint burst'. From reading the very fine print on the box, I found that this burst happens after you swallow the pills. Doesn't that sound like acid reflux or heartburn? Why would someone want a mint burst feeling or taste or whatever after swallowing a pill? Anyway, I bought the Alavert, which was supposedly non-drowsy and '24 hours'.

After spending my last twenty dollars until Friday on this medication, I had to try it out right away. I go out to the car, and pop one out of the blister pack. Following the instructions, which I rarely do with anything, I put it on my tongue and waited for it to dissolve. Keep in mind that I don't take over the counter medications, or prescription, either if I can avoid it. I'm just not down. The pill dissolved and almost instantly, I felt a little better. Then the cynicism kicked in soon afterward, and I started thinking that I was feeling better because the pill gave me a placebo effect. Either way, that little white minty lozenge made me feel somewhat better for almost eighteen hours. Time for another!


stop looking at me!

No comments: