5.16.2005

Happy Town

THE GOOD

  • Four months ago today I turned 29 years old. To most this would be a bad thing, but my life has improved with age. Its a good thing.
  • My two-week-long Wilco/Uncle Tupelo/Replacements/Paul Westerberg binge.
  • The NOFX sub-binge that started last week. Hey, we're the Brews!
  • Drunk nights and whiskey kisses, and bruises on my neck. Its all good.
  • The back seat.
  • The new Easy Action album "Friends of Rock & Roll." Swampy, dirty, demonic rock that rolls. They slow it down here and there, open up, and get loose.
  • "Ceux Qui Intentent N'ont Jamais Vecu" and "N'Ecoutez Pas" from Le Fly Pan Am. I don't know how to explain it, but I like it a lot. After I listen to it a bit more, I'll let you know. Kind of like other bands on Constellation Records (the most visible being Godspeed! You Black Emperor). By the way, thanks, Andy.
  • The Isis album "Oceanic" and the two CDs of "Oceanic" remixes. Interesting. I guess this could easily be described as being very similar to Godflesh. The idea of remixing grindcore also fits in nicely with what Justin Broadrick, the brains behind Godflesh has mostly done in the time post-Godflesh (since their breakup in 2002): remixes. It fits in so nicely that he actually does a remix of an Isis track.
  • Of Montreal. Remember bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, Apples in Stereo, and Olivia Tremor Control? They were all part of a loose collective of like-minded bands from the Athens, GA area that shared some members. The collective was called Elephant 6. Of Montreal are part of a second wave of E6 bands. Their new album "The Sunlandic Twins" has electro beats that melt into shiny happy people pop harmonies. A big debt is owed to the Beach Boys as with most E6 bands. Its not anything especially groundbreaking, but the music is dense and accessible all at once. Total ear candy with earnest lyrics.

THE BAD

  • Clients. I can't complain enough about those fuckers. No specific examples today, just the usual BS.
  • Getting drunk in the evening, then getting sober then getting drunk again. Usual result: a headache. The only way to get rid of said headache is to get drunker. I hate that.
  • 1080i versus 720p. I know, that probably means nothing to you. It means nothing to me, either, and I think its stupid. (1080i means 1080 interlaced lines and 720p means 720 progressive scan lines - this is all relevant to high definition video and broadcasting)
  • The hunger. I've got it. I should eat something.
THE UGLY
  • The devil speaks to me through Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Jim G. Thirlwell, Tom Potter, and John Brannon.
  • I'm not crazy, you're the one who's crazy!


stop looking at me!

No comments: