2.28.2005

Plastic Passion

Sunday night I went to see a show at St. Andrew's (Detroit). I went out of curiosity and boredom, because it was free, and I hadn't heard much from either band. So, the first band was Morningwood. Never heard of 'em, and my friend didn't expect them to be anything special, so we skipped it. Next up was Kasabian. I had already heard some of their most recent record, but didn't think it was anything to get excited about. The headlining act was The Music. I haven't heard their latest, but I heard their previous record, and again, nothin' to really get me going. But it was something to do. I will say this about Kasabian...they put on a good light show. When the lights were shining on the band, and not just the crowd, you could see that the singer copped most of his moves from Primal Scream. Or the Stone Roses, or Happy Mondays, or Inspiral Carpets. Pick a Manchester band from the late '80s that emerged from the original rave scene to play party music. That also happened to be Kasabian's sound. I talked to a few people who slightly agreed, but felt that this band is more rockin' than those other ones. Maybe, I don't know, I think Primal Scream around the time of their second album were a seriously rocking band. Kasabian tried to prove how much they rock by covering one of the more mediocre songs from the MC5's last album (sorry, I can't remember the name of the song right now...I know Eli, it's killing you to not know). They did a mediocre cover of a song that was already mediocre, so does that make it complete crap? Yes, yes it does. They were entertaining, don't get me wrong, it was just too derivative in a way that I couldn't get into. A good artist borrows, a great artist steals, right Picasso? As for The Music, it was more about The Hair Farmer. The singer for The Music happens to be a hair farmer, and seems very proud of it. He also likes to hold the mic with two hands upside down high up in the air and look to the ceiling when he sings. How emotional. That's all you really need to know about them. That, and they need to keep in mind that while Oasis are a great band, they are aware that if you're gonna steal, you should be able to do it well.


stop looking at me!

No comments: