10.06.2004

Viva la Revolución!

I know what you're thinking. Where's the rock? This is "rocknrollscientist.com," right? I know I've been a little lazy with the music lately, but my mind has been elsewhere. My friends opened a new bar, The Painted Lady, there's been all kinds of things going on in politics, and I've just been distracted in general. This week has been really light on the rock for me.

I've been listening to the new Faint album ("Wet From Birth" - Saddle Creek Records) lately. That's not really all that rock. It's more like what Duran Duran should've sounded like in 1986. Well, I wished Duran Duran would've sounded like that. Regardless, I like it, but it's not too rockin'.

I've also been listening to the most recent Kings of Convenience album ("Riot on an Empty Street" - Astralwerks Records). That is most definitely not rock. Their last album, "Quiet is the New Loud" was very folky with soft trumpet and drum accents. It was good, and very catchy yet still very downbeat. This new album is even more downbeat, but it's more folk. The first song, "Homesick" evokes Simon and Garfunkel right from the get-go. This is because unlike most KOC songs, both singers are singing in harmony at the bginning of the song. Very, very Simon and Garfunkel. The rest of the album isn't quite like that. There are light strings and gentle drums, and more trumpet just like the first album, but lyrically it's more upbeat. Leslie Feist from Broken Social Scene contributes backing vocals on a few tracks, too. Downbeat, but warm and comfortable. I like it.

I've also been listening to Blake Schwartzenbach a lot lately. This means I've been listening to Jawbreaker and Jets to Brazil. That man is a fucking genius when it comes to sharp wit. His words cut, but they don't go straight to the point. Kind of like Matt Skiba from Alkaline Trio. I guess these bands are all rock, but the influences of punk are there. I recommend "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" and "Dear You" (especially "Dear You") from Jawbreaker and "Orange Rhyming Dictionary" from Jets to Brazil. Over and out.



No comments: