7.12.2004

Where's Your Party At, Girl?

I don't know when or why I suddenly became so affected by news and current events. It certainly wasn't in school. I've always cared more about studying past mistakes to avoid them in the future. For some reason, I started religiously becoming acquainted with what's going on in the world. This probably happened somewhere around the age of 24, when I was working at the Media Lab at Wayne State University in Detroit. Most days, there wasn't shit to do, so I just sat on the computer all day and read the news. Now it's part of my daily routine: I get up at 6:30am, go outside to smoke a cigarette and drink some juice, then I go sit down in front of the laptop to find out what's going on in the world. Later, when I get to work, the first thing I do is open up an Explorer window on my computer where my homepage is set to Drudge Report, a centrist international news outlet run by journalist and Capitol Hill gossip Matt Drudge. All day long, while waiting for other work-related internet pages to open, I maximize the window with Drudge Report in it. So, basically, I'm reading up to the minute news all damned day. I'm an information junkie, I can't get enough of it. So, it seems like ever since I started really paying attention to what's going on in the world, it's starting to feel more and more like we're living in the middle of a novel about conspiracy theory. Presidents creating wars to boost the economy? Using terrorism with no intelligence to back it up as a reason to possibly postpone this year's presidential elections? I feel like we're living in 11th century England or something. Do we have no say in these matters? Did Dubya roll up a fat joint using the Constitution on the day he was inaugurated? Do you realize that Tricky Dick Cheney will most likely be prosecuted by France and the American Securities and Exchange Commission for crimes relating to his work with his former company Hallburton? I'm so sick of this shit. If more Americans read the news, I think we wouldn't have to worry about Dubya being president for another four years. Then again, we may have to put up with him anyway if the ghostly unfounded terror threat is real.


No comments: