6.21.2004

Systems/Layers*

I guess it's about time I wrote about the Rock City Festival from this past weekend. After all, I was there for almost all of it. Crap, it was hot on Saturday. I have to admit, I was bored. A lot. The expectations for this event were so high. The promoters were expecting 20 to 25 thousand people over the course of two days and 30 bands. I don't know the real numbers, but I can tell you they're nowhere near what I just said. At times, it was busy enough to fill the areas in front of the stages, but the rest of the area was just so wide open and empty. As far as the music is concerned, I would've expected that due to the nature of the festival (almost all the bands are Detroit bands or honorary Detroit bands) there would be more collaboration or 'unexpected' guest appearances. Sadly, there was none of that. There were however, some rockin' sets. Unfortunately, due to the many distractions (okay, I was just drunk or working, okay?), I missed the Grande Nationals, The Detroit Cobras, The Dirtbombs, The Elevations, and Saturday Looks Good to Me (absolutely no idea where I was when they were playing). But, I did catch a few of the bands I was hoping to see. Audra Kubat opened the whole thing, and she was folky, but good as always. The Witches' Troy Gregory started off their set with a word-for-word recitation of the emcee's opening to "Doing It To Death" from The JB's. I was talking to someone, and I heard it, and I said, "how do I know that? What is that? Who is that? What's going on?" Then I realized what he was quoting. Sadly, they didn't kick into an actual JB's cover, but they did put on a rockin' set nonetheless. Southpaw are a newer act from John Linardos, owner of the Motor City Brewing Works. I only caught a few songs, but it was quite bluesy. Ex-Clone Defect Tim Lampinen's Human Eye was probably the most unusual act all weekend. Most of the songs had Tim singing with effects on his vocals, and I'm not just talkin' about reverb, I'm sayin' he sounded like some sort of robot banshee from hell (in a good way). Musically, their sound is rooted in tribute to art-damaged punks like Chrome, the Weirdos, and the Urinals. And this...is a good sound. I like it. After Human Eye, Easy Action came on. I've probably seen Easy Action play about twenty shows in the past five years or so that they've been around. This was without a doubt, one of the best. The singer, Jon Brannon, is a veteran of the Detroit punk scene. When he was a teenager, he was playing hardcore punk that was still just a dream for Ian Mackaye. At some point, during a mid-tempo song, he kept hitting the mic up against his lips to sing. By the time the song was done, his lips were bleeding. This isn't self-mutilation for the sake of punk rock, this is just fucking punk rock. Hell, it's pure rock fury, to be precise. It was a rockin' set, let's just leave it at that. One of their best, and the new drummer, Matt, is a great addition (although the last drummer was good, too). After that, I skipped a few acts that I didn't care to see...from afar, I could hear The Go covering "Hey Ya" from Outkast. I wish they hadn't. Awhile later, I stumbled back outside into the heat to see the Greenhornes. Those guys always put on a good show. No matter what. Even when everyone else starts talkin' shit about them droppin' down to just a trio, I don't fuckin' care. There is so much care for the music welled up inside of Craig, Jack, and Patrick, you would be crazy not to hunt down all of their records. And you know what? They were great when they had two guitars and an organ, too, but that was then, get over it. Their sound is great garage rock that doesn't make you think of garage rock, in fact, it makes you think of The Animals, and that ain't a bad thing. The Sights came on after the Greenhornes, and I'm always happy to see these guys and their Sloan meets Supergrass meets Traffic meets Blind Faith vibe. From the first time I saw them play, and Eddie and Mark were only 17, and they were covering songs from Creation and the Jam to right here and now, I will always support what they do. Now, they're back with original drummer Mike Trombley, and all seems to be right with their world. They'll be rock stars one day, I just know it. The Dirtbombs played after the Sights, but I had to go inside to DJ. So, I missed that, but they put on a good set from what I heard. I guess they opened with an intro that was basically a cover of Warpigs from Black Sabbath (or was it The Wizard? I don't know, I wasn't there). Either way, I wish I could've seen it. That was the end of Saturday. Unfortunately, not for me, I got to DJ all night. I apologize to anyone who was there and may have felt cheated when I kept playing two or three or in one case five songs in a row from an album. I was tired as shit that night. Round two on Sunday was a bit better as far as the weather is concerned. The sun was still out, but it wasn't as hot. The Tiny Steps' power pop was as sugary as always (but always with a bite). The Avatars are a newer band that I don't know much about, but they were good. A little garagey, a little soulful, a little pop, and maybe even a little bit of dirty rock 'n' roll. I liked it, I can see what the buzz is all about. That, and the band consists of three hot women. That always helps. I missed most of Gold Cash Gold, but the little bit I saw was interesting. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting what I saw. They seemed like a bit of a jam-band with keyboards and spacey guitars. I'd like to see it again, I'm curious. Ex Clone Defects and ex Murder City Wrecks (mostly) make up the Valentinos, who played next. When they started out almost two years ago, they were poppy. Very poppy, almost cold and stiff. But, over time, their mutual interests have finally gelled. Eric, the lead guitarist is starting to look like Bob Quine (Robert Quine died last week, he was in the pioneering art-damage punk band Television, involved in the Voidoids, and played with Matthew Sweet for the past ten years or so), and it's truly ironic, considering how much he's playing like our dear departed guitar genius. They've also added more keyboards. Before, Eddie (the drummer) was playing the keyboards on occasion, but now they have George (courtesy of Bisou Bisou) playing keyboards full time, and occasionally filling in on guitar when they all change positions from time to time. They were all wearing dark suits, and just sounded slick. Not boring over-produced slick, but Roxy Music casanova don't trust these guys slick. Maybe sick is a better word. Oh, and Eric had his three little boys dressed up in grey suits and hanging out at the back of the stage. Cute. Back in Spades came up next, and I think if you've been reading my site for awhile now, you have an idea of their sound. This show wasn't especially exceptional, but it wasn't bad, either. Definte up-and-comers. Former Dirtbomb Tom Potter's new revue, the Detroit City Council came up next with their Meters/early Funkadelic funk. Their new bassist, Spoon really adds a lot to the mix. I have no idea who the previous bassist was (it seemed to change a lot for awhile there), but this one is hott. Yes, that's hot with two 'Ts'. This man knows his shit. He sounds like all he's ever heard is the Meters. I was lovin' it. The drums were tight (current drummer was the previous one in Easy Actions - see above), the guitar was light like early JBs, Potter's occasional vocals weren't too much or too little, just right. Plus, Blackman from Soul Clique provides vocal support - occasionally lead, occasionally backup, and occasionally just there to have a good time. Unfortunately, their set was a little overshadowed by bad sound. I know most people don't notice these things, but I do, so it bothered me. Oh well, the set was tight. For the next hour or so, I disappeared. Oh, I was hanging out by the dunk tank. It seemed like it was just an endless line of "the men of the Majestic" getting up there. They offered me money to do it, and I refused. I think the next band I saw was PAS/CAL. I was doing something else, but I was able to hear them and they sounded good. Poppy, but good. I think the last time they were playing somewhere, and it coincided with me being in the same room, I stuck around for about one minute, then turned around and walked out. It just sounded so boring, but they really sounded good on Sunday. Maybe I just walked in on a particularly slow song that time. Whatever. The Hentchmen were tight as always, but they've been slowly pulling their old shit out of their setlists. The new stuff is good, but they have something like five or six albums out. They really need to represent a little more. After the Hentchmen, I disappeared again - I think I went inside. Somehow I ended up with a half-slab of barbecue ribs that I don't recall paying for. I honestly wasn't that drunk...as I was finishing the ribs, I could hear Wendy Case singing "Real Black Girl," so I got off my ass and went back to the Festival. If you're unaware, the Paybacks sound like this: imagine what would happen if Joan Jett had Janis Joplin's voice. Then, imagine that she grew up listening to Cheap Trick. Then, think about what would happen if this woman fronted AC/DC. Is there a smile on your face? There should be. I think I have to agree with my friend Andy, The Paybacks are the best rock 'n' roll band in Detroit. Hands down. It's also no coincidence that the Paybacks' set was the loudest of the ENTIRE Festival. Seriously. Even if you're just the guy who runs the soundboard, you can't help wanting to turn it up to '11' when they come on. You have to, it's required by law. This is Detroit, is it not? Brendan Benson played after the Paybacks, and he's good, he's talented, he sings/writes incredible pop music, but I thought it was a very poor choice for a closing act. The Paybacks should've played last in my opinion. Oh, well, hopefully, they do this next year, and there are twice as many people, and the bands get more into it, and maybe we'll see some special guest appearances.


*listen to Rachel's

No comments: