6.11.2004

Exhibit A

Right here, right now is the debut of a new feature of rock|n|roll|scientist: weekly record reviews. Okay, so it may be more often than weekly, but fuck it, it's something interesting. These will not necessarily be new records, just whatever I feel other people should give a chance. This week's record is "Edutainment," from Boogie Down Productions.

In 1990, Boogie Down Productions was merely KRS-One (Chris Parker) and Kenny Parker. KRS-One's original DJ, Scott La Rock was shot dead while trying to break up a fight at a party in the Bronx. BDP were always based in the Bronx, lending a very 'east-coast' sound to their music. Keep in mind that this was before the differences between west coast and east coast hip hop had been played up. They were gangsta but intelligent (conscious), and paved the way for the Native Tongues crew in the early '90s (Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Jungle Brothers, Afrika Bambaata, Black Sheep, Queen Latifah, Common, Leaders of the New School, and even Black Star). No other rap act can hold that claim.

I was 14 in 1990. I subscribed to Rolling Stone and SPIN magazine, back when both were actually still interesting. They were my only pipeline to the outside world, outside of the cultural vacuum in Port Huron, MI. I read all the music reviews and articles, and here and there a name stuck out because it kept being referenced. One of those names was Boogie Down Productions. My only source of income at the time was a paper route. Unfortunately, I didn't get an allowance, so that tiny bit of money had to be saved for weeks so I could afford to actually buy something. One day, I was at the local Wal-Mart (shiver of disgust)with my mom, and I was wandering around looking for something to do while waiting for her to find whatever she was looking for. The music section at Wal-Mart was always a big let-down, but I checked it out anyway. There it was: the new album from BDP, "Edutainment." I went to see where my mom was at, and luckily in the 'big box' stores someone can easily be ten minutes away if you take into account walking time, and browsing. So, I took a quick look around the corner, and went to the cashier to buy the tape. I asked for it in a small bag, and shoved it in my coat. My mom would've killed me if she knew I had bought a rap tape. Before this, I had never heard any rap or hip-hop beyond what was on the radio. What was on the radio was crap, with the exception of an occasional Tribe Called Quest or Public Enemy track.

KRS-One is nicknamed "the Teacher" for a reason. Holy crap, I had never heard anything like it. I had never been challenged to question how and why people were racist. I had never heard much of anything about Islam or Buddhism or vegetarianism. Tales of African-American history, smuggling guns, tales of the streets, and a seemingly out of place, but good track about the dangers of eating beef. "Edutainment" was the key, the beats were tight (not just tight as in slang, but tight as in solid, simple and good), the samples were rare but appropriate, and the rhymes just blew me away. I got served, and I got served good.

Ya Strugglin'

No comments: