5.20.2004

Brian Wilson's Wet Dream Vs the Funk Brothers

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Saturday Looks Good To Me. Hell, Saturday always looks good to me. They're a different band every time. They're starting to look like a bunch of marching band kids who said "fuck it, there has to be something more..." So, there's this band from Ann Arbor called Saturday Looks Good To Me. The ring leader is a Mr. Fred Thomas. Fred is a fucking genius, first of all. Second, he's managed to create a sound in the studio and onstage that sounds like "Pet Sounds" meets Motown (hence the title of this post). I don't know how he does it, but he does. I've seen this band maybe five times, and it's always different people. Tonight, at the Magic Stick (in Detroit), there were ten people onstage. Ten people! What, you may ask, were these ten people all doing up there? There was the guitarist/singer (Fred), the female lead singer, the drummer, the bassist, the keyboard player (looked like a Farfisa), the trumpet, the trombone, the alto sax, the tenor sax, and the kid playin' the tambourine and the sleigh bells. Yes, ten people. Now, if you've ever heard their second album "All Your Summer Songs" (quite an appropriate title, I might add), you will know that their sound involves many, many contributors. Getting all of the people from the album up onstage at once may prove to be difficult. However, this particular incarnation of the band worked very well. Even the song where it was just Fred and his guitar ("The Girls' Distracted" - genius, by the way) was amazing. SLGTM is by no means a one-man-band, regardless of what I write. No matter who is playing the instruments, they're all there because they understand Fred's vision of hooky pop music that makes you think of the Beach Boys and the Ronettes at the same time. This is serious good stuff, and I highly recommend that you all go out and buy their new album when it comes out on September 14th (I know, it's a long time away, but I'll remind you again, don't worry).

I'm not concerned with your new boyfriend or your thrift store finds

No comments: