4.29.2004

Speak Up!

-Today's guest rant comes from Rocketman. Involuntarily, by the way. Let me know if you have a problem with that. I like to present other views of things I write about.

______________

"Don't support the current Detroit artistic 'royalty', support the revolution. The age of the 'rock star, druggie, hack' artist must come to an end. These bastards cheapen our profession. I'm sick of looking at a pile of cum and dog crap and hearing how it's a sad commentary on the dehumanization of modern man. We must bring about a change, we must no longer allow every ass hole with a paint brush or welder to call themselves an artist. Instead of parading artistic crap through the streets we must take to the streets and beat the crap out of the artists. In the words of Willy Wonka "I've pushed every button in this thing except this one. Go ahead Charly, push it. I said PUSH IT, DAMN IT!"
______________


Rocketman later told me that he was joking, but I think he really did mean some of that. I know what he's saying. The art world does tend to easily embrace the 'rock-star type artists'. What society doesn't? He's concerned with the lack of skill in today's art world, particularly Detroit. It's important to keep in mind that he is a very skilled artisan within the mediums of wood, metal, concrete, and tile. This brings up another issue, too many artists don't view skilled artisans as being artists, too. It's yet another facet of the art world that isn't sculpture, isn't painting, and isn't installation art, therefore it's not considered to be 'as artistic'. Total bullshit. But, I guess this comes down to the first time someone complained that R. Mutt's (Marcel Duchamp) readymades and found art weren't really art. It's a discussion that will never end, and Americans, especially those in a very elitist town like Detroit, will never truly embrace the never-ending scope and range of what is art.

The people have spoken

No comments: