4.13.2004

I'm a Human Fly

Skronk. Imagine if the Cramps and the Jesus Lizard had a baby. David Yow would be the father, without a doubt. What would come out? The Hospitals. I witnessed this insanity tonight at Small's in Hamtramck (Detroit-ish). Two guys: one guitar player, and one drummer/vocalist. I've never seen a drummer pick up one of his own drums and throw it into the crowd, but I saw it tonight. The Hospitals provided one of the most engaging twenty minutes of pure punk fury that I've ever seen. When the guitarist wasn't busy summoning the devils of feedback from his guitar, he was hitting himself in the head with it. The drummer spent half of the show with the mic in his mouth and the only other drummer I've ever seen with a splash cymbal as big as his (28 inches) was Dale Crover of the Melvins. Makes total sense. He ended the show with a slapstick routine where he kept falling on/over his drum kit. Good shit. Detroit doesn't see enough of this stuff.


No comments: