3.06.2004

I Bought the Largest Most Expensive Bottle I Could Find With a Cork*

Tonight was my one and only encounter with the Hamtramck Blowout 2004. I did not go out all week, because I needed a break from the drinking, and the debauchery, and the mayhem. Tonight, I went out. I went with Angela, Jay, and Chris. We went to the Belmont Bar, because in my humble opinion, that was the only worthwhile lineup. There was talk of going over to see the Fondas at the Holbrook Cafe, but there was no reason to leave behind the solid lineup at the Belmont. We're talking Hairshirt (downbeat Brit-pop type stuff), Tiny Steps (rockin' power-pop), Thousand Times Yes (indie rock that sounds like Rainer Maria, but better), and Thunderbirds Are Now! That exclamation point is intentional. It's part of the name. I have not been this engaged and excited about a band in awhile. I don't know how to explain. About a year ago, a band called the Blood Brothers got some underground notoriety. They seemed like a hardcore punk band, but they had much more going on. They had melodic breaks, and unusual instrumentation, like harpsichords. It was interesting, not just the usual crap. This is close to what TAN! are doing. It's like if the Rapture were a punk band. That's the only way I can come close to accurately describing them. Afterward, we ended up at the Senate Bar, which has to be one of the strangest places on earth. Without a doubt. I'm sorry if anyone's offended, but really, the place is just plain strange.

*courtesy of Timothy Christopher, with bottle in hand

if I leave here tomorrow, will you still remember me?

No comments: