3.28.2004

Hearts of Oak

A few days ago, I wrote about the Ted Leo & the Pharmacists show at the Magic Stick (4.24.04). I was at a loss to truly give a good definition of their sound. I said earlier that they sound a bit like the Jam meets late Stiff Little Fingers meets early Wire. Let's take Wire out of the equation. I don't know what I was thinking. The Jam and Stiff Little Fingers (all time periods of both bands) are definitely touchstones, but something else is at work here. I've had a few days to really let Ted's latest album sink in. The night of the show I bought his latest album, "Hearts of Oak." Again, this came highly recommended, which is why I bought it. I certainly wasn't let down. I bought the CD before I even saw the show. After the show I was very happy because I could listen to this great artist any time. I'm still at a loss to explain his sound. Suppose that the Jam's Paul Weller didn't go on to release many albums of rootsy blue-eyed soul and blues. Suppose that instead he made pop records. Then, suppose that the Stiff Little Fingers didn't fizzle out in the mid '80s. That brings us closer to explaining Ted's sound. At the show, the band's last song was a smokin' cover of "Suspect Device," the Stiff Little Fingers' first single from 1979. The cover was apt, considering that while I was blown away by the set, the sound of Ted Leo & the Pharmacists is a suspect device. I can't put my finger on it, but this is one time where I don't have to, I just know it's good. Go check it out.

you didn't think they could hate ya, now did ya?

No comments: