2.05.2004

Into the Groove(y)

I'm excited. It's only been two weeks, but it feels like it's been two years. People pay me to play music. I love it. Can't get enough. If only I could get paid well to do it. If only I could make mix CDs, release them for sale, and not have to worry about licensing and all that. Either way, I've been playing music for money at the Garden Bowl (below the Magic Stick on Woodward in Detroit) almost every Saturday night for over six years. I need to do it. It's required. I feel empty when I don't do it, it's such a big part of me. I don't play exclusively dance music - it's not a dance club. I don't play just 'Detroit' or garage rock. I think it's safe for me to assume that I've played some music that has never been played in a bowling alley - ever. That doesn't really mean that I'm playing a lot of obscure music (although I kinda am), it just means that the Garden Bowl is a unique environment. I can just as easily play obscure electro-pop from Sweden, as I can play Ike and Tina Turner. The scene is diverse, the people are mostly open-minded, and everyone's just there to have a good time, so why not have a good and original soundtrack? That's what I'd really like. I'd like someone to pay me to provide the soundtrack for their life - 24/7. The point of all this is that I DJ at the Garden Bowl in Detroit every Saturday night from 9pm to 2am, and I think anyone who reads this who's in the Detroit area should be there. Incidentally, my DJ name is DJ Gutterball.

No comments: